MASA MASA   Join the National Association of Rocketry Minnesota Rocketry Network

About MASA


  Join MASA

Events Schedule



  Meeting Reports


  Launch Reports

Planet Newsletter

  Planet Online




  Email List


  Outreach Reports

Photo Gallery


Files -n- Forms

MASSY Awards

Open Contest



Last updated: June 3, 2006
Site hosted courtesy of the
Minnesota Rocketry Network
Alan Estenson, Webmaster

Outreach Report - Nacal International School (5/31/2006)

 Well , we racked up another launch (of sorts) for a starting School. This was the most unusual help project yet. I am exhausted as this launch was just part of my running around today.

 As an International School the students were from all over the globe according to their teacher. Also they were all Seniors at the HS level stationed in a rented section of Hamline University.

 The teacher a Mr. D.J. Wyrtzen has requested many field trips to be approved and all have been turned down because of Liability factors. So when he ask for a rocket project he was surprised that they approve.  However everywhere he asked for the ok to fly turned him down. The St. Paul Fire Marshall flatly would not allow them to launch in St. Paul.
Huh, every kid does it at the local park. When he called WBL parks to fly at Sunrise they told him they do not allow rocket flying there. Some understanding soul said Ok to Bossard Park if the WBL Police had an Officer in charge. He never showed up.

 Prior to today I had been working with Mr. Wyrtzen to get him to agree to my conditions. We sent many emails back and forth. Tuesday night I spent over a hour on the phone with him in an attempt to determine the real level of the problem. He wanted to come over that night to fix his own rocket but I was simply too tired.

 Mike said this class needed tons of help on all levels was an understatement. After reading what Mike wrote how Dave & Glen tried to re-engineer his rocket and my actual contact I knew it might not happen.

 First their GSE was a 4 foot rod into the ground with a cloths pin for a standoff. The ignition was by 45' double wire with clips on one end and a 6 volt battery on the the other.

 Mark Thell put together a starter flight pack of pad and controller for them. That and my Pro-pad with Estes Controller would solve that problem today.

 The real issue was that we had 16 kids and one teacher with all the mis-designs you had at Saturdays launch times 17.

 The rockets were already build before his arrival at Nowthen on Saturday. The basic build was 2 small milk bottles taped bottom to bottom. Almost V2 style. They taped the motor into the bottom bottle. The top bottle was intact with no motor opening. This framework was covered by cardboard with cardboard fins mounted mostly from mid body forward. the chute was attached to the end of cardboard. Some had nosecones and some didn't. They expected the chute to just fall out.

 They only had 2 hours from 12:30 to 2:30. But it took them until 12:50 to arrive because of traffic. The teacher requested I bring 5 or 6 of my Junk Yard Rockets for a field Show and Tell. This took about 15 minutes.  Mark showed several of his commercial kits and explained his donation of the GSE. I pre-scouted the field for our setup. Hauling the GSE and
setup probably eat into 10 minutes or so. Mark gave them a demo flight on an A8-3.

 Then we got down to business of seeing what we could do to get an actual launch going today. My hour talk with Mr. Wyrtzen partially prepared me for the true scope of the problem. Each rocket needed to be designed from the ground up or seriously patched.

 Example: The teacher did put in a BT 20 tube as MASA people suggested. The motor tube ran the full length of the double bottle. The chute was in the paper nose cone. He had the fins back on the bottle. BUT the motor tube was floating in the main body and the motor was lose in the motor tube. Yipes, and this was the most ready.

 Since he had cut a fairly nice hole in the bottles double bottoms I had him remove the motor tube. I had him size and cut the tube so it just went through this centering bottom while sticking out the back about a 1/2". I had him run a tape motor block around the C6. Then we inserted the motor in the motor tube and taped them together. We marked a spot on
the forward motor tube and wound a tap block around motor to butt up against the hole he cut in the bottles bottoms. With that done and secure I had him wrap another tap centering ring at the lower bottles neck. This took care of the fin can and motor mount. Now the cut motor tube had the second bottle free for wadding chute. This left a free paper nose cone which we attached by 12" string by tapping it inside the NC and tying the other end to one shroud line. Now we finally had a real rocket. I had him put enough clay into the NC to balance about 1 caliber forward the front of the fins

 This must have taken close to a hour. While I was doing that all the 16 students kept asking us what to do. I told them what needed to be done and I asked the teacher to help them arrive at the same spot.

 One student kept asking me for help. I told him to cut the bottles open to redo the insides. Mark finally took him under his wing to patch the rocket. I didn't see what Mark did but it appears he rebuilt the rocket for him by adding fins to the motor mount and them tapeing this assembling to the bottom bottle. This lengthened the rocket so no weight was needed. Just as well as he didn't have a NC anyway. Mark put in the same amount of time with this rebuild as I did with the teacher's rocket.

 Results:: 16 kids, 1 teacher with 17 rockets that needed full redesign. 2 reached launch status.

 The student with Marks help launched on a C6-5 for a beautiful fligh especially considering the start. The chute (bag) opened nicely drifted down by the scoccer nets. He wanted to do it again so he had to unwind the tape to put in another motor. This flight angled to the south and had a late delay but the chute opened nicely to drift into a backyard. Mark
got it for him later.

 My teacher's rocket was overstable with maybe a little to much weight. We didn't have time to play around. It corkscrewed up and the chute opened fairly well.

The day was a lot of work with only 2 rockets and 3 flights. Each kid's rocket needed the parts and time Mark and I put into the 2 that did launch. Each kid repeatedly ask me to ok the rocket. But they were only closed fin cans with forward structure, NC, chute or etc.

 Knowing that they were Foreign HS Seniors and not being able to put on a show like I've had with Scouts, 4H and other schools was a disappointment for them and for me.

 I wanted to personally thank Mark Thell for his great effort here. If Mark hadn't been there it would have been completely impossible.

 Mark and I did our best but the overwhelming odds were against any large scale launch success.

 I hate to say it but maybe these help sessions need some pre-screening.  This is a very long report but it doen't do justice to the time put into this effort.

 [Ken Jarosch and Mark Thell]

Back to Outreach Reports