October Meeting Report
The October MASA meeting was held on the 7th at ASE in
Plymouth. Thanks to Alan for hosting! Approximately 14 people
The next regular club launch will be on Saturday, October 23, at the
Nowthen sod farm. The theme is "OddTober” (Goony rockets,
Halloween-themed rockets, odd-rocs, SteamPunk, Birdies, or anything
else out of the ordinary)
The next club meeting will be on Thursday, November 4, at the
Science Museum. The topic will “Journey to the WSMC (World
Spacemodeling Championships) in Serbia” - presented by WSMC Team
Members Todd Schweim and Caleb Boe
- The MASA Badge Design Contest is back! All MASA members are
invited to submit their designs for next year's MASA member name
badge. All entries must be submitted by November 1 to Jason
Colt. All of the entries received will be voted on at the
November MASA meeting, and the winning design will be used for
next year's name badge. Details can be found on the club
- Congratulations to Caleb Boe for setting a new national
record in B Division for 1/4A BG, which he set at NARAM on
- We are planning to implement a club FiTi, so visitors at our
launches have an opportunity to select and fly a rocket of their
choosing. I’m looking for rocket donations (prefer new/never
flown) and motor donations (A, B, C only). Thanks!
- The 2010 MASA Holiday Party is in the process of being
planned. It will be held at the Chaska Community Center (same
location as the last two years).
- Officer elections open at next month’s meeting. If you’re
interested, please contact Carol.
- Important reminder – the Yahoo email list is the primary
method of communicating within the club. If you’re a member and
are not on the email list, please sign up ASAP. This is the best
way to find out about last-minute schedule changes, or to hear
important club information.
- Outreach opportunities:
- Cub Scout Pack 232 in Lino Lakes – build session on
Tuesday, October 12th at 6:30, Living Waters
Lutheran Church in Lino Lakes. They plan to have 35-40
scouts participating, and they’ll be building SpaceLoft,
Wizard, and Viking rockets.
- The launch for this group will be at Blue Heron
Elementary School in Circle Pines, on Saturday, October 16th
starting at 10am. The address is 405 Elm St, Circle Pines,
MN. Alan and Buzz are bringing launch equipment, and setup
begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Boy Scout troop (232) in Lino Lakes - Oct 25 build, Nov
6 launch (this is a partner troop to the outreach
opportunity mentioned above).
- Reminder that Jeff is always looking for articles for the
- Membership Update - Our membership levels are strong, with
approximately 130 members registered. This is great for our
club, but it also bring additional challenges with launch
logistics and safety. Please be patient if you experience any
issues with our ‘growing pains’.
- Treasury - Club funds remain in good shape.
- Don’t forget to take advantage of Hub’s HPR sale! During the
month of October, all in-stock Aerotech 29mm and 38mm high power
reload kits will be on sale at *25% off* of the regular price.
You must visit when Alan is working in order to get the sale
price. (refer to Alan’s email for his work schedule)
- Sirius Rocketry - David Miller of Sirius Rocketry is
offering a 10% discount to all MASA members through early
- Off We Go Rocketry - Tim Melody of Off We Go Rocketry is
offering a 10% rebate to the club for all purchase made by MASA
members. The 10% rebate will be in the form of a donation to the
club, made at the end of the year.
Show and Tell:
- Gerald Meux brought along his impressive ShadowAero 3"
diameter Phoenix rocket that's made from carbon fiber.
Gerald also brought some 98mm N motor casings, and a nozzle for
a custom 6" diameter motor.
- Neal Higgins brought an Aerotech Electronic Forward Closure
- Jeff Taylor brought his Estes NARAM 52 Satellite
Interceptor, and a custom cluster Fat Boy with canted motor
The topic for this month's meeting was a discussion of reload
casings and reloadable motors, with a snow 'n tell of various reload