September Meeting Minutes (9/15/2007)
The September 2007 MASA meeting was held on the 6th at
the Science Museum.
10 people attended the meeting.
- The launch on August 25th had near-perfect weather and a
great turn-out of MASA members, visitors, new members, and
spectators. A total of 148 flights took to the skies.
The theme was "multi-staging", and there were 17 multi-stage
flights. These included six entries in the annual
Comanche-3 drag race.
- The next launch will be on September 22nd at Nowthen.
The theme will be Science Fiction & Fantasy rockets.
- The next meeting will be on October 4 at the Science Museum. Meeting topics (and volunteers) are needed for the
October and November meetings!
- The new September/October issue of the Planet is now
available for download. This is new editor Jeff Taylor's
second issue. Looks great, Jeff! Thank you! As
always, Jeff welcomes your contributions for the Planet.
The deadline submission date for the next issue is October 25.
Show -n- Tell
- David Whitaker brought along his clone of the classic goony
rocket "Zoom Broom" that he kitbashed from a Baby Bertha.
Dave made his own decals for this rocket. Dave also showed
us his 29mm Skyripper hybrid motor system. He used this
system to fly his modified LOC Hi-Tech on an H78 hybrid motor at
both the July and August MASA launches.
- Buzz McDermott brought a newly finished "Der Goony Max"
kitbashed from a Baby Bertha and finished using the decal set
from Excelsior. He also showed us a Squirrel Works "Spacecruiser
FFE" and a highly modified Sunward "Gravity Rider".
- Caleb Boe brought his very neat modular rocket. This
rocket project recently earned him a 4-H blue ribbon at the
Minnesota State Fair. Way to go, Caleb!
- Ted Cochran brought the lower portions of his Loc IV and
Quantum Leap as examples of baffles and zipperless recovery
On the masarocketry mailing list back in August, there was a
discussion about which Twin Cities area Michaels stores still
stocked model rocket stuff. At the end of the discussion, the
list looked like this:
- Apple Valley - ?
- Blaine - YES
- Bloomington - YES
- Burnsville - ?
- Coon Rapids - YES (both stores)
- Crystal - YES
- Eagan - NO
- Eden Prairie - YES
- Maple Grove - NO
- Maplewood - YES
- Minnetonka - NO
- Oak Park Heights - ?
- Plymouth - NO
- Richfield - ?
- Roseville - ?
- St Paul - NO
- Woodbury - YES
- Shakopee - ?
Thanks to everyone who attended the meeting! See you next