April 2005 Meeting Minutes (4/16/2005)
The April 2005 MASA meeting was held on the 7th at
the Science Museum. It was a good turnout with 16 people in
attendance including several guests.
- The March launch was poorly attended. There was
discussion about whether people don't like the Buffalo/Rockford
field. The weather may also have been a factor. The
southern metro got lots of snow, but there was just a dusting at
- TARC teams were discussed. Lots of teams, many requests
for observers for launches.
- The April 23rd launch will be at the new Nowthen site.
An FAA waiver has been approved for this site for 2005 allowing
flights to 4,500 ft AGL! [Thanks to Mike for all his work
to get the waiver approved!]
- Alan Estenson spoke briefly about upcoming flights by U of M
student teams at North Branch. They'll be launching
"CanSat" payloads on J motors.
Show & Tell
- Ellison Lenz brought a big rocket made of styrofoam cups
called the "Re-Caffeinator". He filled all the
cups with expanding foam so that it could fly on a G motor.
- Ken Jarosch spoke about his efforts to figure out hybrid
- Dave Gensler brought a newly built 2-stage cluster kit by U.S.
Contest Rocket Building Session
Mike Erpelding organized and led a building session for C
streamer duration rockets. Mike brought a ton of supplies, and
quite a few rockets were constructed by both MASA members and
guests. Hopefully, we'll see them fly at the April contest.