May 2003 Meeting Minutes (5/23/2003)
MASA met at the Science Museum of Minnesota on Thursday, May 22.
Fourteen people attended the meeting.
The meeting started out with politics, a discussion of BATF
Notice of Proposed Rule Making #968. This notice places serious
restrictions on high power motors, and may leave the door open to
regulation of smaller motors. A two-page handout summarized recent
- Letter from Mark Bundick
- Information on where to send comments
- "talking points" from the NAR
A copy of the handout is available from
- Ted Cochran is running a launch at Westwood Elementary in
Blaine on 5/23.
- Ted Cochran is running the INSciTE Rocket League launch on May
- Glen Overby has been contacted by the group hosting the Girl
Scout Council's National Jamboree in July, 2004 about teaching a
class building rockets. He's looking for help!
- We're still looking for a good launch site. Glen has been
contacting sod farms, without much success. If things work
out, we hope to start flying from the Rockford site this summer.
Several rolls of pictures were passed around by Alan Estenson and
There was a discussion about how the Team America Rocket
Challenge flyoff went earlier this month.
Mike Erpelding gave brief discussion of the RSO and LCO
procedures we use at our launches. Five "problem rockets"
were handed around for evaluation by those present.
The meeting closed at approximately 830PM, a bit earlier than