MASA MASA   Join the National Association of Rocketry Minnesota Rocketry Network

About MASA


  Join MASA

Events Schedule



  Meeting Reports


  Launch Reports

Planet Newsletter

  Planet Online




  Email List


  Outreach Reports

Photo Gallery


Files -n- Forms

MASSY Awards

Open Contest



Last updated: Jan 31, 2010
Site hosted courtesy of the
Minnesota Rocketry Network
Alan Estenson, Webmaster

July 25 2015 launch report

On Saturday, July 25, MASA held a launch at the Elk River / Otsego VFW Fields. 


A few of the flights:

MASA members - please send in your thoughts about the launch! 

Todd Carpenter writes:

Great day at the range.  Hot, to be sure, but the winds were low, and clouds few.  Most of my rockets landed very close, and all were intact for once.

I arrived shortly after 8am.  Neal, Anand, and Michael were already there, and everything was already set up.  Thanks, guys!

My flights (Altimeter Three is neat!):

  •   Illuminati Pyramid F42-4 216'
  •   Sidewinder B6-4 61' (OK, that was an embarrassment)
  •   Oaken Shield C6-3 174'
  •   Steam Comet D12-3 284'
  •   Saturn V E18-4 313'
  •   Purple Pyramid of Doom F39-4 445'
Tons of fun people there, and several new faces.  Great flights by many folks, including a Slightly Perturbed Machine, big gliders, small gliders, rotoroc, altitude flights with streamers, L2 ejection tests, flutter-bys, Big Mosquitos, Big Der Red Maxx, Altered Weapon, custom rocs, and a whole tomb of pyramids of varying sizes and shapes.  Just to name a few.  I'm sorry I had to leave before the Barracuda performance.

Thanks to Neal for hauling everything out there and back, setting up, tearing down, inviting new people, RSOing all day long!  Also thanks to the various LCOs today.

Michael Farrell writes:

Boiling hot, but agreed, a terrific day. I got there early but all of the set up was already done by Neal and Anand. Thanks guys.

Very light wind, almost no wind, meant everything was coming down near the pads, so it was mid-power day at the field. Lots of AP E's, F's, and G's burned, some of them by new flyers with the club, and not all in high-drag UFO's.

I think that there were a high number of flights overall. I had 18 before I just had to get cooled off, the heat was brutal with no breeze. And yes, my beaten old Mean Machine will only be about 4 feet long next time it flies.

Anand Vyas writes:

As pointed out by Todd and Michael, it was a great day to fly rockets (heat was not a bad trade-off for me). Unfortunately, I had to leave at noon so could not enjoy watching more flights. It was sheer pleasure to watch all kinds of rockets flown. Thanks to everyone for participation.

I successfully flew my custom made rocket thrice. First, with A8-3 from club's launch rack, B6-4 and C6-5 from my scratch built launch pad (christmas tree stand, pvc pipe and couple of thumb screws) and launch controller (Axman switches and LED, school lunch box, breadboard, and Menards plug socket, electrical and duck tape). The custom made rocket was nothing fancy, body tube+nose cone+streamer, with variable fin sleeve to permit flying  combinations of several types of cones and fins for a given body tube size.

Having watched beautiful flight of Neal's Red Baron (glider recovery), I thought to try my Semroc Hawk with B6-4 from my launch pad. The flight ended with nose cone of the glider ejecting along with the motor and the glider becoming a spiraling nose dive. 

Thereafter, I flew upper stage of FlisKits Cheetah with C6-3 from my launch pad. The flight was unpredictably dangerous (unstable), and the rocket spiraled and dived towards the end of the field. It is suspected that the nozzle geometry might have been somewhat defective. This was a Quest motor purchased from Hub Hobby (LC) about three years ago. It turned out that the rocket was intact and so tried again with C6-3 from my launch pad, and this time it was a successful flight, but could not spot the rocket in the sky (streamer provided by the kit was darker shade of blue....) and I thought I had lost it. After about an hour and half, Bill Welsh spotted it in the opposite direction to where I had looked previously and was very kind to deliver it to Neal who in turn delivered to me. Thanks much to Bill Welsh for uplifting my spirits.

Finally, I could not resist the temptation to fly FlisKits Rose-A-Roc (helicopter recovery) on a fine day punctuated with mild breezes about every 20 minutes or so. In absence of pin required to secure the rubber bands on nose cone, and my nose cone pock marked with lot of pin holes, I opted for duck tape (America runs on Duck Tape). In addition, I used duck tape to reinforce possible failure location on the blade near the hinges. I flew this from club's launch rack with B6-4 motor. The upward bound flight was ok, and after the ejection charge burst, one blade released and in couple of seconds other two released as well, and the rotations began marking a successful helicopter recovery and landing at the edge of the football field. 

Neal Higgins writes:

Thanks everyone who braved the heat and made it a great July MASA launch. Thanks to everyone who helped with range setup and tear down.

MASA gained 2 new members yesterday and put up some great flights including 2 on their Partizon on F20's. Welcome aboard Gary and Lucina Aslakson.

We also had 3 visitors who put up 4 flights on their FITI rockets. I had met Keagan, Tully and their grandma at Hub in Richfield looking at rockets. I passed along as much of my rocket wisdom as I could, helped them pick out a starter set and motors. I gave them our website address and told them about our July launch. They showed up and told me they had already built and flown the rockets they had just purchased but had lost 1 to the trees in Todd park. I had promised them FITI rockets if they came so I kept my promise and I know they had a great time.

I brought 3 newly completed rockets to try. The first was the Mega Red Baron glider. The 1st flight on a D12-3 was near picture perfect. The 2nd flight on an E9-4 was also pretty good despite looping back over the crowd and almost destroying the Smart car with the ejected motor (sorry Todd). The 3rd flight on a D12-0 again looped back over the crowd but the landing was a bit too hard and it broke into 2 pieces. A little glue and it should fly again. The vinyl wrapped Twilight Interceptor E flew beautifully on an F30-4FJ. This is the larger Interceptor covered in a black vinyl wrap from I think there are now a few of these in the club now. And the 3rd new rocket was my 12Pack. This rocket was built from 2 rugged rocket kits I purchased from Alan. The 2 kits I bought were the 6 Pack (tube fin) and the Check Six (six fin). These rockets use phenolic body tubes an fiberglass fins. I basically built the Check Six as is but added the body tube from the Six Pack (for extra length) and added the tube fins to the outer edges of the fins. It flew great but when it hit the ground 2 fins broke off. And because we had guests and new members I just had to fly my pyramid Anubus on a G78-10G. This is one without any recovery system, it's light enough that it just floats back down ever so gently.

There was a total of 115 flights with Micheal Farrell again having the most flights.

The Details:

Full launch tally  - see the Google Docs spreadsheet

The totals were:  116 flights with 125 motors burned. The motor breakdown follows:


# Burned













E 25
F 12



(Alan Estenson)

Back to Launch Reports