MASA MASA   Join the National Association of Rocketry Minnesota Rocketry Network

About MASA


  Join MASA

Events Schedule



  Meeting Reports


  Launch Reports

Planet Newsletter

  Planet Online




  Email List


  Outreach Reports

Photo Gallery


Files -n- Forms

MASSY Awards

Open Contest



Last updated: Sept 25, 2007
Site hosted courtesy of the
Minnesota Rocketry Network
Alan Estenson, Webmaster

September 22, 2007 launch report (9/25/2007)

On Saturday, September 22nd, MASA held its ninth launch of the year. This launch was held at the sod farm near Nowthen.  The weather was pretty nice albeit with an annoying breeze out of the SW.

The theme for the day was science fiction and fantasy rockets

Thanks to the LCO/RSO volunteers:  Alan Estenson, Jeff Taylor, Ken Jarosch, and David Whitaker.

A few of the flights:

MASA members - please send in your thoughts about the launch! 

Ken Corey-Edstrom writes:

After a long absence I returned to the Nowthen field with my nephew Nate Edstrom, age 8, and budding rocket expert, to fly with MASA. Nice to see everyone again. Got started late because of home chores and didn't get to the field until about noon, just in time to see the hybrid flight - WOW! Nate was in awe of all of the rockets going off and it took some time to get the prep done for the first flight of his D Squared. He was planning on using a pair of D12-3s which, in light of the winds, wasn't prudent. We swapped the 3's for 7s and cut a hole in his chute. We got a great picture of Nate next to his rocket and had a very high flight -- and watched the rocket disappear just short of the corn way, way out there. Despite our best efforts, we could not retreive Nate's rocket but Nate was not deterred. He has launched rockets in trees, into lakes and out of sight many times in his short career and was happy with the results. Even better, three hours later, Mike, having retrieved his Loki Dart in the same vicinity, came back with Nate's rocket. Thanks again Mike! Having forgotten my launch rail at my parent's cabin several weeks ago, I was not able to fly any of my large, buttoned inventory, but did get off a set of 4 foam whistling rockets, which were converted from a Toys R Us air pump set, and a memorable but sad last flight of my monocopter which cheerfully tore itself apart on an E30 while taking a somewhat dangerous path and strewing parts all over the field.

Nate's brother Alex, who has never been much of a rocket guy, showed up and pushed the launch button for another foam boinker I converted and happily recovered rockets downfield, racing with his older brother. We even used my wife's Rendevous' internal compressor to launch an air powered rocket to new heights to end the day.

Had a great time. That is a great field. We hope to get their earlier next time. Thanks MASA for keeping us all safe.

Caleb Boe writes:

My first flight of the day (while the wind was fairly calm) was my Red River Rocketry P-Chuter Xtreme on a G77-7R. This was a very fast and high flight (about 3,000ft). The rocket drifted a long ways and landed in a small tree. Thankfully the tree was small enough that I could reach it with my hands. Next I flew my modular rocket (no name yet) which I built for the Washington County Fair on a G77-8R. In addition to the Washington County Fair, this rocket also received a blue ribbon at the MN State Fair. Next up was my IQSY Tomahawk on an F40-10W. Deployment was late on this flight, and as a result, the tail section reached the end of the shock cord and snapped back at the payload section, causing damage to it. I also flew my Deuce's Wild on 2 B6-4's and my Astrocam 110 on a C6-5. Also one of the members of my TARC team, Joe Pahr, came with us and flew some of his rockets.

One special note: my younger brother Daniel flew a rocket in which he forgot to put a parachute in. He ended up very lucky when the rocket ended up landing on the rope (which marked off the range) and the shock cord just wrapped up around it. The rocket didn't even hit the ground! Despite the 5-6mph wind (thankfully it was blowing away from the corn), the weather was beautiful.

Ken Jarosch writes:

I only managed to put up 2 rockets before the winds picked up. I flew the L.B. Bertha an a F24-4w for a nice flight. It only drifted into the next field by the dirt road.

The first flight was with the Executioner on a F39-6T -3secs. The rocket took off fast and arced over when someone noticed a puff of smoke. The rocket slammed into the edge of the western ditch and buried itself up to the coupler in the body tube. I ripped the rocket off at that point. The nose cone was shattered and the top half of the rocket was driven into the ground around the nose cone. It took me a half an hour to dig this out.

At first I thought that the sticking nose cone had been the problem. Another thought was that the pre-packed wadding had hardened into a solid mass. I've noticed this effect and usually loosen the wad. I didn't this time. When I first walked up to the rocket I thought I might have lost the casing, but it was still hooked and taped in place.

When I removed the motor I found the ejection cap was still in place. Removing the end cap I could see the burnt delay charge and residue of the black powder charge. However the charge in the ejection cap had not fired. The hole in the cap was open so it should have worked. But just to be sure I ran a tooth pick through the hole before I flew the Bertha which worked.

Today Paul help me with his Dremmel tool grind away the old top tube and glue off the coupler. It's already to receive a new body. Glad I didn't have to do that by hand. Time to up grade the Executioner with LOC parts.

The Details:

Full launch tally (Adobe Acrobat PDF)

The totals were:  122  flights, 127 motors.  The cumulative total impulse was 2081 Ns with an average total impulse of  16.4 Ns.  The motor breakdown follows:


# Burned

MicroMaxx 0
















G 3


I 0



(Alan Estenson)

Back to Launch Reports