MASA MASA   Join the National Association of Rocketry Minnesota Rocketry Network

About MASA


  Join MASA

Events Schedule



  Meeting Reports


  Launch Reports

Planet Newsletter

  Planet Online




  Email List


  Outreach Reports

Photo Gallery


Files -n- Forms

MASSY Awards

Open Contest



Last updated: June 12, 2007
Site hosted courtesy of the
Minnesota Rocketry Network
Alan Estenson, Webmaster

June 2, 2007 launch report (6/12/2007)

On Saturday, June 2nd, MASA held its third launch of the year. This launch was held at the VFW soccer fields near Elk River.  This "extra" launch was scheduled due to the cancellation of the regular May launch.  Flying started around 9am and wrapped up around 1:30 when dark clouds started threatening to the south.  The morning weather was actually fairly nice with only a slightly annoying breeze out of the south.

A few of the flights:

MASA members - please send in your thoughts about the launch! 

Ken Jarosch writes:

I got in 11 flights in a mixed bag of BP rockets. I started with 2 planes. First flight was a Tinee with a 1/2A3-2T for a good long glide. The 2nd plane was a CiCi on a A8-3. This made a big power loop and crashed into the ground breaking the body stick.

I tried the modified Elite Egg Lofter on a B6-2. At ejection the body came down with a streamer and the egg pod drifted in with the 12" chute. The second flight with a C5-3 ripped the heavy duty shrod lines because of the velocity.

A freebie paper rocket called the "6 Sider" was flown on a A3-4t never to be seen again.

I flew two Ultra Delta Saucers. The red saucer on a D11-P and the yellow saucer on the E9-P. I also flew 2 odd rocs. The first was the 2 part Pyramid on a C6-3 and the other was the foam board Scimitar on a D11-P. The Scimitar spins in flight.

I also put up 3 of my Junkyard Rockets on C11-3's. The Katy-Shaw Slim put in a great flight with a close descent. The High-Flying Jester caught the wind and ended up in a small tree by the VFW sheds. Without a pole to get it down it was offered up to the rain Gods. It was accepted with a later down pour. Lastly I flew the 2X Solar Warrior with the rod angled more out into the field. This was a good flight but the winds drove it into one of the large tires for some paint damage.

John Carlson writes:

Number 3 son and I made it to the field about 9:30 Am just as it started to get breezy.we managed to put up 15 rockets by the time we left at about 1:30 Quinn launched his custom Galileo and a scratch built rocket from summer camp last year. I had a Eiffel tower rocket make from a 3d puzzle kit, flew good but the D12-3 just wasn't enough, it did a half lawn dart with no damage. I also launched cloned Centuri Orion, force 5, tie fighter, V-2,Nike Ajax, X-15, plus a few more. Had great time, can't wait till next month.

Dwayne Shmel writes:

We flew 9 rockets in the morning. In no particular order they were:

Elizabeth’s Baby Bertha on a C6-5. Great flight and recovery on a rocket that is proving itself to be one tough little customer.  We christened Richard’s Bull Pup 12D using a B6-4. Great flight and thank goodness no damage to this little scale rocket.  Elizabeth flew her No. 2 Estes Sky Writer on a B6-4 for its second time. Nice flight and safe recovery.

Our tiny little Quark got its inaugural flight on a 1/2A3-4. It went up so quickly we didn't see it. Then it landed about 10 feet from me with a small thud as it nosed into ground. No damage. Maybe we should change the color from flat black???  We flew our camouflaged painted StormCaster and our “Yellow Jacket” themed Fat Boy both on D12-5’s. Both were very straight and high flights with successful recoveries thanks to the soft grass.

Our FlisKits - A.C.M.E. Spitfire was launched for only its second flight on a D12-3 Apogee. It was a PERFECT flight which we caught on video. I spent a great deal of time crafting this odd-rock and always breathe a sigh of relief when it returns safely.  We bid farewell to our black and blue Estes X-Flier. We sent it up on a C6-5 never to be seen again. Thank goodness it only cost a few bucks and took only 20 minutes to build. But hey, we have to get rid of a few of the old rockets to make way for the new ones. [note - this rocket was found later]

We also launched our scratch designed video camera rocket built using a BT-56 airframe tube. The 6.5 ounce rocket was sent up using a D12-5. I recorded 40 seconds of flight time from lift off to my son’s run and catch recovery. You can also see a few frames of the ejection charge going off with the parachute and cellulose wadding visible as it scatters about, and Elizabeth holding the rocket body she recovered separately. You can also see a few frames where the nosecone recorded the image of the rocket descending below. The video has been edited and is posted on the site. I have higher rez version that I can e-mail should you have the ability to receive a 50 meg file.

We look forward to the Solstice launch.

The Details:

Full launch tally (in Adobe Acrobat PDF form, requires version 6 or newer of the Acrobat reader)

The totals were:  79  flights, 84 motors.  The cumulative total impulse was 822 Ns with an average total impulse of 9.8 Ns.  The motor breakdown follows:


# Burned

MicroMaxx 0
















G 0


I 0



[These numbers are known to be low.  It was discovered after the launch that some attendees had not been filling out flight cards for their flights.]

(Alan Estenson)

Back to Launch Reports